January 02, 2007

Scared Straight

It's amazing how much fear motivates a person. The fear of losing his freedom catapulted Bob into some serious commitment to getting and staying sober. This was not uncommon for Bob when first entering any recovery place he was always serious about getting well. The problem was that he had been to over 20 some rehabs by this time and the longer he was there or at any place for that matter, the more his restlessness took over. At some point he just wanted to get out and would really stop paying attention to the couselors. But this place didn't have "Counselors" it had shinks.

One day his new Doctor called me. As he started telling me of Bob's good attitude and co-operation I laid it out for him. Bob was one of the smartest people I had ever known in my life. He had figured out what to say years ago to get the staff off his back. He was so charming and sounded so sincere and convincing. I told the doctor that if he really wanted to help Bob he could not let him get away with anything. He was capable of telling him exactly what the doctor wanted to hear. He was an expert at going to Rehab.

The Doctor took my advice and the next time I did talk to Bob he told me how they were really on his case and if he didn't do everything the wanted he was going to jail.

Mission accomplished. Bob was scared straight. He did everything he was told to do and maybe for the first time in a long time he told the truth to someone.

I'm sure it was very painful for him to face the pain he had put his family thru and I was stunned when I got a call from his Dad asking my opinion of what I thought about his going to see Bob in Kansas. I couldn't believe he was thinking of going. I of course told him that I knew he had to go. It was a good thing hopefully for the both of them. Hopefully there would be some healing for the two of them.

His father had always been there for him, but he had never gone to visit him in any of the many places since I knew Bob in the past five years. The fact that his Dad was going was major. Now Bob couldn't blame his father any longer as he used to go on and on about how noone in the family ever came to see him. He used it as an excuse to drink. One more excuse was stripped away from him.

Bob would be left facing his demons and the truth, no matter how painful it was for him.

As they say in the AA program, speak the truth and the truth will set you free. It was all starting.

No comments: