January 03, 2007

Back to LA

The days in Aspen went by all to quickly and before we knew it, I was on a plane back to Los Angeles and he was on one back to Kansas.
Bob had made several commitments to his Legal Aid people and the play was still running. He would finish out his commitments, and be home for Christmas.
His Doctor was freaking out. What had we done he kept asking Bob. It was bad enough that he went and got married at only four months of sobriety, but moving back to L.A. was as good as sealing his death warrant, he said.

Bob never was one to listen to his doctors advice and maybe the best thing that happened to Bob was his doctor's doom and gloom speech he gave him. It was a challenge for Bob. He just loved proving the "shrinks" wrong. Years before a psychiatrist had told him he would never get sober. Bob was determined to proved him wrong. Several years later we ran into this man at the market, I just loved the look of "You don't know Me you were wrong" on Bob's face when he spoke to him proud to have proved him wrong.

Bob was coming home for the holidays and we had made a commitment that we would leave Los Angeles and move to Colorado someplace. We did not want to find out if the doctor's prediction would come true. As long as we were together we knew we would be happy. I waited with baited breath for his return. He was also so excited he had not seen his daughter since the summer. She missed him too.

Before Bob returned his Dad and Brother took me out for a wonderful dinner at a really amazing new restaurant in town. The chef was Wolfgang Puck, before he owned his own restaurants. They could not have been more wonderful. I felt really lucky to be a part of his family. My spirits were high and I felt blessed. Years later his brother told me that no one ever really thought that we would last as many years as we did. What were the odds of two people meeting in a bar while Bob's full blown Alcoholism was rearing it's ugly head. There was no rhyme nor reason to love and destiny I guess.

It was the longest month I had had in a long time, but the day finally arrived and Bob was home. It definitely was our "HoneyMoon" period. Everything was great.

After Christmas I quit my job at the salon I was working at, we made plans to go back to Kansas pack up his place hop in the car and drive to Wisconsin to introduce Bob to my family and then go on to Colorado and find a new place to live.

We were very excited about our future. The only thing was that Bob was very sad that he would be moving so far away from his daughter, but it was better for her that he was sane and sober and living someplace safe so he could be the father he wanted to be to her.

No comments: