February 09, 2007

Preparing for The Birth

We were just like any other expextant couple. We started to prepare our baby's nursery. It was all such an exciting time. During this time we made sure to include his daughter in what we were doing. She was still wanting to come over and see us on the weekends at that time.

I never really gave it much thought, but as I look back I often wonder why no one I knew ever gave me a baby shower. I guess my life with Bob had always been quite isolated. My family was all in Wisconsin, and he only had his Dad and Brother. No one from our AA friends really cared about us much either. I guess they were all betting that it would never last. People are funny that way. There was no shared joy just curousity about when it would all fall apart.

We knew better. Bob didn't return from Hell to pick up another drink, at least not for many many years.

Two weeks before my due date my doctor had me come into his office and he removed the stitches that were securing my Uterus. He sent us directly from his office to the Hospital Maternity Waiting area. We were all convinced that our son was going to just be born that night.
I wasn't really sure what was supposed to be happening, being my first time in this situation, but nothing happened. We sat there for over two hours, just waiting. It seemed rediculous.
I called the Doctor and asked him if I could just go home. All those months of thinking I would lose the baby didn't happen. And he sure wasn't ready to be born tonight. Not a single contraction happened.

We went home.

By this time I was so big. Not being able to do much more than sit and eat had taken a toll on my body. I went from 118 to 180 something. I was fat and uncomfortable.

No comments: