February 10, 2007

Finally

Well two weeks later I actually went into labor it was around 3 am put I waited until the doctor's office opened because my contractions were pretty mild and far apart.

When I finally did call the Doctor he told us to go to his office and he would meet me there. He didn't think I had dilated enough to actually go to the Hospital yet.
I was so confused I had no idea what I was supposed to be feeling. All I knew was that I didn't want to drive all the way back to Santa Monica from Beverly Hills and then back again once labor was really full blown.

I guess I was nervous because of all the complications I had experienced. I really thought that I would give birth relatively fast. Like the baby was just going to come flying out, silly me. I was fully prepared to have a natural child birth experience, no drugs, no inducing nothing.

We called Dad and he arranged for us to wait in his office at the Hyatt on Sunset. It was so much closer to Cedars where I was going to give birth.

We hung out there for several more hours and when labor started up again we checked into the hospital. Then labor stopped they wanted to send me back home. I refused.
I asked them what I had to do to get labor going and they told me to start walking.
I must have walked the halls for hours.
My father-in-law and brother in law came with dinner for Bob and they all took turns walking me up and down the halls that night. It was so surreal. I really had no idea how much time was passing. But after twenty two hours of labor a very sweet nurse asked me if I wanted something. I asked her what she had. I was so over the whole Natural Child Birth experience I can't even tell you.

The anaesthesiologist came in and suggested that he give me a spinal epidural. We agreed. The problem was, this was 1984 in Los Angeles around 5:30 am. He was totally loaded on some kind of drugs. He was telling jokes, doing magic tricks and actually did the epidural wrong. The baby went into Fetal Distress, and my blood pressure started to drop really fast. I had an emergency C Section.
Even in the Operating Room this doctor was still doing Magic. Bob was freaking out, he normally had a very bad temper but he was helpless. At any moment he was about to loose me and our son. My Doctor delivered my son less than five minutes later and he was fine. They put him on my chest so I could see him and then they knocked me out to put me back together again.

My Doctor was so apologetic he thought we would sue him and the other doctor plus the Hospital for the ordeal we had all just been through. We were just so happy our son was OK, we never did do anything to that doctor. I was hoping he would be turned in by my Doctor. He may have been but I didn't want to go through all the legal stuff. Especially with a brand new baby.

I had to stay in the Hospital for several days because of the medication I had to take for the pain. I was on a Morphine Drip. I didn't feel a thing. Bob was so concerned that I wasn't getting enough pain medication that they "Asked" him to leave the hospital that night.
So much for a natural Birth. I was high on Morphine and my husband was experiencing some sort of dry high anxiety. It is just that was it always went. We had a great life, but what could go wrong would go wrong.

He left and I got a good nights sleep. Probably one of the last I would have for many years to come. My son was and is a total night owl. He never slept. He never cried but he was always awake.

Life was getting really fun and interesting.

No comments: