April 02, 2007

Dejavu A new Way

Pills, Pills and more Pills.

I can't blame Bob for getting so strung out on pills because I was involved from the beginning. Our local Malibu Family Doctor asked me how Bob's back was, and I told him even after surgery, he was still in a lot of pain. The physical therapist hurt him even further. Life in our house was miserable.

Our Doctor told me to make an appointment and send Bob into see him, I couldn't wait to tell him that our family doctor was actually going to step in and help him.
What he did was prescribe many many pills. Bob was given Vicodine, Valium, another pain pill and he was getting large amounts. He started out with maybe 100 of each which was supposed to last a month or something Bob was refilling his precsciptions every two weeks by the end of several months. He was also going to a doctor in town that I wasn't aware of in the beginning.

Then there was the Karate injuries which always lead to the emergency room for a demeral shot and more meds.
He was on a rollercoaster ride with addiction again and this time even I didn't realize how far gone he was.

Pill addiction is so socially acceptable, it's even more so when your doctor is giving them to you. Our world is full of addicts that don't even know what a problem they have. Got a little ache, here's some pain killers. I learned this from experience.

I was having problems with my sciatic nerve and went to a very reputable medical firm specializing in athletes with all sort of problems. After my test were taken and all the X-rays were read I was given a prescription for Vicoden. I was told to just call a refill number 24 hours in advance for as long as need for my refills. I didn't need to be seen again. That was that. If I hadn't been watching the amounts of pills Bob needed to take to help his pain, I probably would have been in the same boat as he was in.

No doctor told me that Vicodine is addictive, that I would start to develop a tolerance for it or that I would have to take more and more for the pain relieve to work. All I was told is that I had to take them every 6 hours so that they would not have time to wear off. Once the pain cycle starts up again, it's harder to control
it.

Until this day I regret speaking to our Family Doctor and after a year and a half of giving Bob more and more pills, he went to see him fresh out of his first rehab in 14 years and our doctor gave HIM a lecture on how he abused pills, taking absolutely no responsibility for giving him hundreds of pills a month. Imagine that.

No comments: